Sibenik is located in a bay, not far from the river Krka, that is connected by the 2.5 kilometers long channel (the channel of St. Ante) with the Sibenik channel. Sibenik lies in the shape of the amphitheater on the slopes of surrounding hills.
Sibenik is a city with 42,000 inhabitants, the seat of the county of Sibenik, developed economic, cultural and tourist center located in the Sibenik bay, the most protected natural port on the Adriatic.
Sibenik is 88 kilometers away from Split (60 kilometers from the airport), and 74 kilometers from Zadar. Sibenik has railroad connection with inland and Zagreb. It also has ship port.
It has gentle climate with warm summers. Winters are cold because of the strong winds. It also has about 2,570 hours of sun per year. Sibenik is surrounded with old fortresses: St. Ana; St. John, and Subicevac. The city is harmonious combination of the old part with narrow streets and the new part with modern architecture.
The broader area of Sibenik was inhabited already in prehistoric times (Illyrian town of Scardona - present Skradin). The town of Sibenik was mentioned fore the first time in the act issued by the king Petar Kresimir IV, in 1066. Sibenik was ruled by the Byzantine emperors, kings of Croatia and Hungary, Venice, Bosnian king Tvrtko, Austria and Italy. The most significant cultural monument in the town is the cathedral of St. Jakov from the 15th century. The building of that church has begun in 1431, but the consecration took place as late as 1555. It was built by numerous masters, but the greatest and the most important part is attributed to Juraj Dalmatinac. The cathedral was finished by Nikola Firentinac. This master-piece of Croatian architecture belongs to the Embellished Gothic style, and the naves have renaissance ceilings of stone plates that are unique in the history of architecture. The apses are ornamented by frieze of portrait heads, the work of Juraj Dalmatinac. One staircase leads from the south apse to the sacristy and the other to the baptistery that has circular ground plan with four shallow niches. The baptistery is the masterpiece of Croatian and world Gothic architecture. In the cathedral you can see the paintings of the old masters and a rich collection of valuable church vessels. The Gothic-renaissance bishop's palace lean on the cathedral. On the same square, opposite to the cathedral, is also the city loggia (townhall) raised between 1532-1542. There is also the small church of St. Barbara from the 15th century, with two poliptychs of the renaissance painter Nikola Vladanov from Sibenik. The church of St. Frane from the 14th century is Gothic church with one nave, renaissance and baroque altars, and rich church treasury. The Prince's Palace today hostes the Museum of Sibenik, and the high tower that was part of the Prince's Palace, and served as jail, is still preserved. There are also the city gates (so called, Sea Gates). The oldest fortification in Sibenik, the fortress of St. Ana dominates over the city and offers a beautiful view on the town and surroundings. The highest fortress in Sibenik is St. Ivan, at the altitude of 125 meters. Subicevac is the third fortress, and it used to be called Barone.