Turanj is a small touristic village situated in Zadar County, on Riviera of St.Filip Jakov – Biograd.
Turanj is a tourist resort connected with the centre of Sv. Filip i Jakov via promenade "Lungo mare,” while in front of it is the island of Babac.
Today Turanj has numerous private rooms and suites meeting high standards as well as a large number of smaller campsites for cars and good restaurant offer which will satisfy the needs even of those most hard to please.
Turanj was named after ruins of medieval fortress. In the centre there is a church dedicated to Lady of Carmel dating back to the 15th century whose day is especially celebrated. Thus during the tourist season in addition to this festivity there is the festivity of Turanj attracting visitors with its traditional program.
In the very centre of the village there is a church dedicated to Lady of Carmelite whose holiday is specially celebrated (16th July). Apart from the village and very close by the sea on Tukljaèa site there is St. Mary’s church, while on the isle of Babac (facing village) there is small St. Andrew’s church (13th-15th cent.).
Outside of the town of Turanj in the immediate vicinity of the coast there is a church of Sv. Marija (St. Mary) in the place of Tukljaca, while on the island of Babac there is a church of Sv. Andrija (St. Andrew) (13th to 15th century). Above the town in the place of Crni krug which today is also a gazebo that can be reached by bicycle or walking path, there are ruins of a castle dating back to the Iron Age, while the archaeological area of Tukljaca is also worth of mention.
Come to Turanj and you will be far from crowds but still in the centre of all events.
Turanj offers wide choice of accommodation (rooms, apartments, camping sites...), restaurants and shopping centres rich with domestic products.
The region of Turanj was populated still in the Bronze Age, while the first archeological finds originate from the early Stone Age. In the Bronze Age “gradine” upon the hills around Turanj were populated, as well as “gradina” on the islet Rièul (Green Island) where, later on, there was a little ancient harbour.At the time, the isle was still connected to the land. The first settlement was called Tukljaèa (Tukljaèane, Tukljeèane). In Roman period there were three little harbours and a big Roman estate. Tukljaèa was independent parish. Three church books in Glagolitic script and two historically important Glagolitic stone inscriptions originating from that time have been preserved, as well as a part of the ancient aqueduct Biba-Jader. In the village grave-yard there is a small church built in 845 upon remains of Roman villa rustica, in historic documents called Church of the Immaculate Conception or St.Mary’s or, in some documents, Stella Maris.
Today’s Turanj was mentioned in historical documents for the fist time in 13th century. In 1444 the fortification of the Croatian peers Meštroviæ was settled there. Its tower was the origin of the name of the village – it was called Toretta (according to Latin turis – tower). By the time the name has modified to Turanj. The fortress was built close upon the sea, with three towers supporting the walls. Only one tower has been preserved until now (Kaštel) as well as the main gate and the part of the walls. During Kandian war Turanj was customs area. Namely, in the past Turanj was known as battle-field where many battles were taking place. The inhabitants were partly sheltered on nearby islands Pašman and Babac. The village was once thoroughly burned down by the Venetians who didn’t want it to fall into Turkish possession.
In 1450 the church dedicated to Nativity of the Virgin Mary (Mala Gospa or Ružarica) was built inside the walls of Turanj. During Kandian war the church was destroyed by Ibrahim pasha. Today’s parish church dedicated to Lady of Carmelite (Gospa Karmelska) was built in 1675, on the same place of the former church.
The old inhabitants of Turanj were burying dead bodies in Franciscan church of St.Dujam on Pašman island. Only when the sea was rough the burials took place in Tukljaèa. It is curious fact that in 1527 Turanj had 144 inhabitants while, at the same time, Biograd had only 70.